Emerging Leaders programme 2020/21 (6 twilight sessions) to support teachers in their 2nd-5th year - starts Tuesday 10th November 2020
This programme aims to support teachers in their 2nd-5th year of teaching to establish their leadership potential.
This 6-session programme is suitable for qualified teachers in their 2nd - 5th year of teaching who wish to enhance their understanding of effective working and explore ways to share good practice and develop their career. We aim to assist in retaining teachers within our profession and building a network of support to aid future progression.
- Five twilight sessions (4.30pm-5.45pm) to develop effective working and explore research as a tool for enhancing teaching and learning
- Includes a meeting scheduled with each delegate at the end of the course to agree objectives for development
- Sessions take place over academic year (November 2020 - July 2021)
- Course facilitators: Sarah Parsonson & Nicola White
- To share and develop exciting good practice thus retaining qualified teachers to the profession
- To engage with relevant research to provide the basis to positively influence classroom practice and leadership
- To develop an understanding of effective working as a teacher and a leader of a team
- To learn more about one's self through exploring personal styles, use of emotional intelligence and overcoming barriers
- To develop coaching and reflection skills as part of the learning journey
- To explore pathways to further success including the importance of achieving a work/life balance
- To build a network of support with other like-minded teachers in the Benfleet area
THIS COURSE IS AN EXCELLENT PRECURSOR TO OUR ACCLAIMED MIDDLE LEADERS PROGRAMME.
(All sessions take place 4.30pm-5.45pm at EITHER The Appleton School, Benfleet or through online delivery depending on current government guidelines)
Tuesday 10th November 2020 - via Zoom
Session 1: Great Teaching Part 1 - Becoming an expert practitioner in the classroom through impact, reflection and risk!
- Importance of reflection - participants have pre-course material (staff can consider relevance to programme and introduce key content)
- Consider components of Great Teaching (diamond 9)
- Introduction to action research to develop an understanding of how action research can enhance and develop 'great teaching' (explanation)
- To consider findings of educational research in relation to flipped learning and metacognition and explore practical strategies that can be employed to trial in lessons (reading/discussion/plans going forward)
Tuesday 1st December 2020 - via Zoom
Session 2: Great Teaching Part 2 - Becoming an expert practitioner in the classroom through impact, reflection and risk!
- To share personal reflections regarding flipped learning and metacognition through group discussions (spectrum activity)
- To consider findings of educational research in relation to active learning particularly focusing on AfL including teacher, peer and self-marking
- To examine the benefits of self, peer and teacher marking and its impact on progress
- To evaluate the impact of reflection/action research in improving as a practitioner
Tuesday 19th January 2021
Session 3: Leading Learning Part 1 - Taking others with you through inspiration, vision and values
- To explore the concept of inspirational leadership and what it looks like in practice (participants could come with an inspirational quote)
- Discussion of leadership characteristics
- To identify current leadership strengths and areas for development
- To develop and understand the stages of team development as a leader of the team
- To consider the impact that various attributes can have on leadership performance (Mr Men activity)
- In preparation for session 5, peer observations to be organised focusing on participants perceived areas of weakness
Tuesday 16th March 2021
Session 4: Leading Learning Part 2 - Taking others with you through inspiration, vision and values
- Creating a vision
- Selling the vision
- To explore the use of delegation, distributed leadership, motivation and feedback as part of the development of others
- To consider the features of effective feedback in relation to lesson observations
Tuesday 20th April 2021
Session 5: Forging Ahead - Pathways to further success
- To share our learning development from observing other practitioners
- To understand how emotional intelligence can help us on our journey to 'greatness'
- To develop an understanding of the barriers of time and people and how to create a work life balance
- To understand the use of coaching and reflection skills as part of our learning development and overcoming barriers
Tuesday 13th July 2021
Session 6: 1:1 meetings with delegates
- Individual meetings with each delegate to agree objectives for development
(N.B. There will be some flexibility for scheduling meetings when convenient)
Following government guidelines, all face-to-face events in 2020 are currently being delivered remotely. Face-to-face training will be reviewed in 2021 and offered if appropriate and once safety guidance permits.
This course is suitable for primary and secondary phases.
TO BOOK A PLACE ON THIS PROGRAMME, PLEASE SELECT THE FIRST SESSION OF THIS COURSE ON OUR TRAINING TAB AND COMPLETE THE BOOKING PROCEDURE.